Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Friday, January 20, 2017

Manchester by the Sea (Kenneth Lonergan)

An Uncle is obliged to return home to care for his nephew after his brother dies. As soon as he finds out that he is to be the guardian, he struggles with the decision. Throughout the movie he recounts memories that caused him to leave Manchester and distance himself from the past.


Starring: Casey Affleck, Ben O'Brien, Kyle Chandler, C.J. Wilson, Michelle Williams, Lucas Hedges, Tate Donovan, Kara Hayward, Josh Hamilton, Anna Baryshnikov, Matthew Broderick

Why I loved this film: As I was watching the Golden Globes, every time this movie came up as being nominated I kept on thinking: 'Are you serious?'
I really believed it to be absolutely boring with no interesting storyline, just from watching the trailer.
Well, after watching it last night, I must say that I take it all back.
There are plenty of independent features out there that tackle the discomforting subject of family death and custody, but none of them handle it with the same level of detail, humanity, and personal application as Manchester by the Sea. Hence, I encourage all to see this masterful, humbling work when they get the chance to, but expect a few tears towards the end.
Also, kudos to Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams for their exceptional work. All awards are well-deserved!

No comments: