Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Snowden (Oliver Stone)


The NSA's illegal surveillance techniques were leaked to the public by one of the agency's employees, Edward Snowden, in the form of thousands of classified documents distributed to the press. Based on the books - The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World's Most Wanted Man by Luke Harding, and Time of the Octopus by Anatoly Kucherena.

Starring: Melissa Leo, Zachary Quinto, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Rhys Ifans, Nicolas Cage, Shailene Woodley, Tom Wilkinson, Joely Richardson

Why I loved this film: First of all, I have to give praises to Joseph Gordon-Levitt who I think went above and beyond in not only capturing Edward Snowden's mannerism and the way he speaks, but Gordon-Levitt's performance in this film is so calculating and precise!
Shailene Woodley also gives her most mature performance yet, because this film is more than just about the whole surveillance controversy, it is also about how that negatively affects Snowden and Mills' relationship, which I think is fairly handled as both aspects do not take away or diminish each other's importance in the process.
Overall, I think that Snowden is a riveting film that keeps you engaged and more importantly gets you thinking, which I believe to be the goal of Oliver Stone. Does the film lean one way in that it paints Edward Snowden as a hero? I think so, but not in a way that intentionally judges those who at the end still think of him as a traitor.
Most of all, it has left me with questions and more curious about the truthfulness of the whole situation.

No comments: