Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Danish Girl (Directed by: Tom Hooper; Written by: David Ebershoff and Lucinda Coxon)

A love story inspired by the lives of Danish artists Lili Elbe and Gerda Wegener. Lili and Gerda's marriage and work evolve as they deal with Lili's journey as a transgender pioneer.

Starring: Eddie Redmayne, Alicia Vikander, Amber Heard, Emerald Fennell, Ben Whishaw, Pip Torrens, Matthias Schoenaerts, Jake Graf, Nicholas Woodeson, Philip Arditti, Miltos Yerolemou, Sebastian Koch, Sophie Kennedy Clark

My thoughts on this film: I found this movie to be very touching and delicate. It is delicate in the way that it treats difficult subjects, such as sexuality and the discovery of one's identity in a hostile period. The fact that it is a true story makes the whole thing even more interesting.
I do not think that the film is perfect, but I loved the acting, cinematography, and screenplay.
I only wish Eddie Redmayne could have been more believable as Lili, especially the first time that Lili appears in public. I really thought he was going to win an Oscar for this role from the trailer, but after watching the whole movie, I am not as certain.
I also do not think there is much need for all that nudity, especially when Lili and Gerda are in bed. That was not the core of the story, and it felt cheap, as if the whole point was to show Alicia's naked body. She is a good actress with her clothes on!
Finally, I am very interested in true stories, so I had done my research and felt that the most important parts of Lili's life had been left out of the story.
Lili did not undergo two surgeries but about four or five (this part should have been explained, it would have been more interesting and smart than the love story).
She did not die in the garden talking to Gerda, she died from complications in her last surgery.
Her last words to Gerda (in the film) were actually the last words to her sister (on the phone).
Overall, it was interesting but there was more they could have done with such an amazing story!

No comments: