Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Friday, August 28, 2015

La Famille Bélier (Eric Lartigau)

The Béliers are ordinary people: Rodolphe and Gigi are married, they have two children and run their farm for a living. Ordinary people? Well, almost... since three of them, Dad, Mum, and their son Quentin, are deaf. Which is not the case for big sister, Paula. And not only can she speak but her music teacher scouts her beautiful voice as well. He offers her to sit for the entrance exam of the Maîtrise de Radio France, a vocal elite choir in Paris. Her parents, who rely on her as their mouth and ears, take the news badly. Paula, who hates the idea of betraying her family, goes through a painful dilemma...

Starring: Karin Viard, François Damiens, Eric Elmosnino, Louane Emera, Roxane Duran, Ilian Bergala, Luca Gelberg

Why I loved this film: I am not fleeing, I am flying. Understand it well, I am flying!
There are times when a film can hit close to home making it hard to review objectively because it has spoken to you in a very personal manner. That is the case with this French film.
I no longer live with my parents, but they are still everything to me. it is just that sometimes you have to make your own choices and live your own life.
Louane Emera has a beautiful voice and she really delivers a natural and touching performance in the lead role. I had no trouble caring for her character, so it really worked.
This film manages to be funny and sad at the same time, it even had me crying in the end.
The music also works extremely well. Karin Viard and François Damiens had great chemistry together and provided most of the comedy in the film.
La Famille Bélier is a very charming, feel-good movie full of funny and sincerely touching moments.

No comments: