Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

Monday, March 23, 2015

Bleeding Edge (Thomas Pynchon)


It is New York City in 2001 and fraud investigator Maxine Tarnow is on the case of billionaire geek CEO Gabriel Ice.
Standing in her way is an array of bloggers, hackers, code detectors, and entrepreneurs, some of whom begin to show up mysteriously dead. Not to mention a drug runner in a motorboat, a professional nose obsessed with Hitler's aftershave, and a neoliberal enforcer with footwear issues.
Will perpetrators be revealed, forget about, or brought to justice?

Quote: "At bedtime Ernie used to tell his daughters scary blacklist stories. Some kids had the Seven Dwarfs, Maxine and Brooke had the Hollywood Ten. The trolls and wicked sorcerers and so forth were usually Republicans of the 1950s, toxic with hate, stuck back around 1925 in almost bodily revulsion from anything leftward of capitalism, by which they usually meant keeping an increasing pile of money safe from the depredations of the IRS. Growing up on the Upper West Side, it was impossible not to hear about people like this."

My thoughts on this book: I decided to pick 'Bleeding Edge' because I felt curious about Thomas Pynchon after hearing so much about 'Inherent Vice', and since this is his most recent novel, I gave it a go. Well, maybe I am not ready for his books, or maybe he is just not ready to be read by someone like me!
I must confess that I had a difficult time following the narrative, staying invested in the heroine, and understanding the plot.
The characters seemed stereotypical and we get that Maxine is Jewish! There is no need to keep bringing it up every time you get a chance!
In the end, there is no real resolution, no big sigh.
Either I missed something or I really should be reading other types of books. I will not be giving Mr. Pynchon another chance any time soon!

No comments: