Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

Monday, February 02, 2015

This house is haunted (John Boyne)



It is 1867. On a dark and chilling night Eliza Caine arrives in Norfolk to take up her position as governess at Gaudlin Hall. As she makes her way across the station platform, a pair of invisible hands push her into the path of an approaching train. She is only saved by the vigilance of a passing doctor.
It is the start of a journey into a world of abandoned children, unexplained occurrences and terrifying experiences, which Eliza will have to overcome if she is to survive the secrets that lie within Gaudlin's walls...



Quote: "I want to scream at them, I want to run and shake them, I want to look them squarely in their faces and say, you knew, you knew even then. Why didn't you say something? Why didn't you speak?"

Why this book speaks to me: I am a huge fan of John Boyne and I have been looking for this book for a very long time. This said, nothing about it was disappointing, au contraire. I particularly liked the secrecy surrounding the Westerley family and how the village conspired to cover up the truth. Eliza is also likeable and believable enough that you do truly care about what happens to her.
This book is engaging, sometimes extremely creepy, and definitely worth reading - speaking from the point of view of a ghost story fan. I really enjoyed This House is Haunted and if you share my passion for such storytelling, then you need to include it on your to-read list.

No comments: