Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Saturday, November 01, 2014

Gone Girl (Directed by David Fincher; Written by Gillian Flynn)


On the occasion of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne reports that his wife, Amy, has gone missing. Under pressure from the police and a growing media frenzy, Nick's portrait of a blissful union begins to crumble. Soon his lies, deceits and strange behaviour have everyone asking the same dark question: Did Nick Dunne kill his wife?

Starring: Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry, Carrie Coon, Kim Dickens, Patrick Fugit, David Clennon, Lisa Banes, Emily Ratajkowski, Casey Wilson

My thoughts on this film: The first half of the movie is a fairly standard 'did he or didn't he' mystery thriller. Then, about an hour in, the perspective shifts entirely and suddenly you realise that you are watching something totally unexpected.
Despite the abrupt shift, I still think that Gone Girl holds together extremely well. Ben Affleck's Nick manages to inspire sympathy without ever being truly likeable while Rosamund Pike's Amy is brilliant and terrifying at the same time.
My two complaints would be over the length: There were certainly a few moments when I wished that the movie would hurry up and get to the point just a little more quickly. And although I am not a prude, there were too many unnecessary explicit sex contents in my view. However, I must say that this film is unlike any that I have ever seen before. I would recommend it to all (with a warning that the adult rating is well earned) but especially those with a dark sense of humour.

No comments: