Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Black Roses (Jane Thynne)


Clara Vine, a young, talented British actress, finds herself in Berlin and, unwittingly, in the midst of an uneasy circle of Nazi wives, including Magda Goebbels.
There she meets Leo Quinn, an undercover British intelligence agent, and is soon recruited to spy on her new acquaintances.
But when Magda Goebbels reveals to Clara a dramatic secret and entrusts her with an extraordinary mission, Clara feels threatened, compromised, and desperately caught between duty and love.


Quote: "It would be useful to know what those Nazi women thought. It could tell you a lot about the cohesiveness of the top brass. Behind every powerful man was a wife, after all, who heard things he would tell no other living soul. They may be Lady Macbeths, or Caesar's wives. They may urge caution, or goad their men on."

Why this book speaks to me: What is slightly unusual in this novel is that the action focuses on the wives of the Nazi leaders rather than the better known men themselves. The focus is on Magda Goebbels, who actually had a more complex background and personal history than I would ever have guessed. This story is based on extensive research into the Nazi wives' and girlfriends' real lives and in this case truth appears to be stranger than fiction.
The only disappointment was the ending, since I guess I expected more, but I have come to realise that there is a sequel, so I cannot call it an 'ending' after all.

No comments: