Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Wolf of Wall Street (directed by Martin Scorsese; written by Terence Winter and Jordan Belfort)

Jordan Belfort was a Long Island penny stockbroker who served 36 months in prison for defrauding investors in a massive 1990s scam that involved widespread corruption on Wall Street and in the corporate banking world, including shoe designer Steve Madden.


Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie, Matthew McConaughey, Kyle Chandler, Rob Reiner, Jon Favreau, Jean Dujardin, Joanna Lumley, Cristin Milioti, Christine Ebersole, Shea Whigham


Why I loved this film: The first thing people told me was 'it's a long movie... you're going to be there for three hours'... Well, I must say that I was not bored or looking at my watch for a single moment!
However, this movie paints a very decadent picture of the financial sector and its corrupted citizens, perverted by money and greed. A multitude of insatiable degenerates are depicted participating in an unending array of parties, drugs, alcohol, and prostitutes leaving the audience with many explicit and awkward moments. Although I am ok with sex scenes, there were times when I felt it was going too far with no need for such explicit content - albeit seeing Leonardo DiCaprio in the nude is always pleasing to the eye!
But this awkwardness is overlapped by the very funny dialogues - and there were many to choose from -, such as the Leo Dicaprio/Matthew McConaughey dialogue while eating lunch or Leo teaching us how to con a client or just about any scene with Jonah Hill.
I must also highlight two actors who really surprised me since I did not know they were going to be in the movie, but they were also brilliant among such talent: Jean Dujardin, the French hottie of the moment, is as amazing in American movies as in French ones; and I have also watched Joanna Lumley's career grow, since she is one of the greatest British actresses, but I have never seen her in a production of this calibre.
So far, I have been simply saying how much I like or dislike movies based on their storylines and acting, but here I am taking this a step further, since the music was also very well chosen. There were many times where I had to stop myself from singing out loud! It had all the great tunes, even ones I had not heard in a long time!
The scenery was also amazing, or should I say, eye-popping!
Totally worth seeing!

No comments: