Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Captain Phillips (Richard Phillips, Stephan Talty, Billy Ray; Directed by: Paul Greengrass)



The true story of Captain Richard Phillips and the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates of the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama, the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in two hundred years.


Starring: Tom Hanks, Barkhad Abdi, Barkhad Abdirahman, Faysal Ahmed, Mahat M. Ali, Michael Chernus, Catherine Keener, David Warshofsky, Corey Johnson, Chris Mulkey, Max Martini


Why I loved this film: I am not going to go into the political issues surrounding this story and whether it is true or not. I will be leaving that to the Americans. I just have to say that this was brilliantly made, with ten minutes of foreplay before getting into the 'real deal' - unsuitable for people with serious heart conditions!
Tom Hanks was the excellent actor we have become used to seeing on the big screen and never disappointed me at any stage - I foresee another Oscar in the near future -, but I was also stunned to find out that the 'Somali pirates' were not actors or even aspired to be actors, just regular guys hired for the movie. They were outstanding and I would not be surprised if Barkhadi Abdi was also nominated for an Oscar - I also foresee a career change in his future!
I went to see this movie out of curiosity, since 'Captain Phillips' was based on a true story, but it totally blew me away! Probably the best film made this year!

No comments: