Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Only God Forgives (Nicolas Winding Refn)

Julian manages a Thai boxing club in Bangkok as a front for a drugs operation. Respected in the criminal underworld, deep inside, he feels empty. When Julian's brother murders an underage prostitute, the police call on retired cop Chang - the Angel of Vengeance. Chang allows the father to kill his daughter's murderer, then 'restores order' by chopping off the man's right hand. Julian's mother Crystal - the head of a powerful criminal organisation - arrives in Bangkok to collect her son's body. She dispatches Julian to find his killers and raise hell.

Starring: Ryan Gosling, Kristin Scott Thomas, Vithaya Pansringarm, Yayaying Rhatha Phongam, Tom Burke

Why I hated this film: Considering that Nicolas Winding Refn also directed 'Drive', which I hated, I am beginning to see a resemblance. Maybe I will lay off his movies from now on. They are not my cup of tea.
I have never walked out of a movie, and this time even I felt like doing it. The only thing that kept me there was the money I had paid to watch it, I thought that I might as well stay to the end.
It took me a while to understand what was going on, but there were times when I felt completely lost and could not figure out the point of the story. Like in Drive, Ryan Gosling hardly ever speaks, but looks rather sad throughout the whole movie, staring point-blank at what is happening around him and having allucinations, which come up out of nowhere.
I also did not see the point of the cop singing in the middle of the story - maybe lack of subtitles in that part did not help much, since it was in Thai.
To top it all, I absolutely hated the extreme violence that seemed to play a main role throughout the entire film. Just not for me!

No comments: