Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Inferno (Dan Brown)

With the words 'Seek and ye shall find' in his head, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon awakes in a hospital bed with no recollection of where he is or how he got there. Nor can he explain the origin of the macabre object that is found hidden in his belongings.
A threat to his life will propel him and a young doctor, Sienna Brooks, into a breakneck chase across the city of Florence. Only Langdon's knowledge of the hidden passageways and ancient secrets that lie behind its historic facade can save them from the clutches of their unknown pursuers.
With only a few lines from Dante's dark and epic masterpiece 'Inferno' to guide them, they must decipher a sequence of codes buried deep within some of the most celebrated artefacts of the Renaissance - sculptures, paintings, buildings - to find the answers to a puzzle which may, or may not, help them save the world from a terrifying threat...

Quote: "It is physically impossible for the human mind to think of nothing. The soul craves emotion, and it will continue to seek fuel for that emotion - good or bad. Your problem is that you're giving it the wrong fuel."

Why this book speak to me: My first thought as soon as I started reading this was 'Oh, no! Not another Robert Langdon book! Here comes another movie sequel!'
The thing is, I have read all of Dan Brown's books, and as much as I loved 'The DaVinci Code', he has also written two completely different thrillers - 'Deception Point' and 'Digital Fortress' -, which depicted completely different matters, either Science-related or government-related. Therefore, as much as I love his books, I was expecting something totally different, with a different storyline, and different characters.
Now, Dan Brown is such a brilliant story-teller that as soon as I got into the story, I left those negative thoughts behind and just enjoyed another cultural composition mixed with suspense and breath-taking moments.
This time I learnt a little about Florence, Venice, and went up to Istanbul (even Paço de Arcos, in Portugal, made a very short appearance).
I also noticed and became more interested in Dante's works. You see, that is the fascination that Dan Brown holds for me - I always seem to learn something new that would not have gotten as much attention from me back in school.
This is, overall, a must-read!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excelente livro :)