Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sushi for Beginners (Marian Keyes)

Hot-shot magazine editor Lisa Edwards' career is destined for high-rise New York when suddenly she is diverted to low-rise Dublin.
But what can she do about it?
Ashling Kennedy - Lisa's super-organised assistant - worries about everything from her lack of waist to the lack of men in her life. She is even anxious about a little bit of raw fish...
Clodagh Kelly is Ashling's best friend and has her prince, her beautiful kids and a lovely house - everything in fact that Ashling ever wanted. She should be - yet, she is not - happy.
Three women on the verge of happiness and even closer to complete breakdown. Which way will they fall?

Quote: "This pain has changed me, she admitted. This pain that is not going to go away for a very long time has made me a nicer person. Even if I don't want to be, she acknowledged wryly. Even if I consider it a fate worse than death, I am softer, kinder, better."

My thoughts on this book: For starters, I see myself in many instances - and not only for the fact that this is mainly directed at thirty-somethings -, such as the fact that nothing about Ashling's life is, or has ever been, remotely perfect. She has low self-esteem and is going through some very rough times. In the author's words, Ashling has 'loser star quality'- not to forget her disgust regarding raw fish -, but the cherry on top of the cake is when she finds a man and finally starts believing in happiness, her so-called best friend steals him away.
I also see myself in workaholic Lisa and her fear of love and growing up. Will I ever grow out of it? Only the future will tell...
The story was very realistic, but the ending did not seem as realistic to me. Somehow, I was left a little disappointed, since it produced the happy ending that is known to every romantic story.

No comments: