Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

Saturday, March 16, 2013

The House of Silk (Anthony Horowitz)

It is November 1890 and London is gripped by a merciless winter. Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson are enjoying tea by the fire when an agitated gentleman arrives unannounced at 221B Baker Street. He begs Holmes for help telling the unnerving story of a scar-faced man with piercing eyes who has stalked him in recent weeks.
Intrigued, Holmes and Watson find themselves swiftly drawn into a series of puzzling and sinister events, stretching from the gas-lit streets of London to the criminal underworld of Boston and the mysterious 'House of Silk'...


Quote: "If I were a philosophical frame of mind I might wonder to what extent any one of us is in control of our own destiny, or if indeed we can ever predict the far-reaching consequences of actions which, at the time, may seem entirely trivial."

Why this book speaks to me: It is yet another case of not being able to put a book down once I started reading it. 'The House of Silk' was so well written, with every aspect, every character, every movement extremely well described... everything was in place. I felt like I was there, or better yet, as Anthony Horowitz writes in the end 'only Sherlock Holmes has the power to bring me back to my childhood'. And for all Sherlock Holmes fans, like me, do not be put off. Mr. Horowitz was approached by the Doyle Estate to write this book, and being a fan himself, he remained true to the original stories depicting Holmes. I was not at all disappointed by how it turned out, but rather surprised in a very good way!
The story itself reminded me of recent events in Portugal, something that made the news, but I will not say more as not to spoil the ending...
I cannot, however, end this post without declaring my love for a type of crime fiction from an Era with no mobile phones, no internet, no DNA. I am talking about the 19th century. The only thing detectives had to work on were their brain - which they must put to good use - and premonitions.

No comments: