Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Friday, February 17, 2012

J. Edgar (Dustin Lance Black)


As the face of law enforcement in America for almost 50 years, J. Edgar Hoover was feared, admired, criticised and worshipped at the same time. But behind closed doors, he held secrets that would have destroyed his image, his career and his life.
This movie was directed by Clint Eastwood.


Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Josh Hamilton, Gunner Wright, David A. Cooper, Ed Westwick, Naomi Watts, Judi Dench, Armie Hammer


My thoughts on this film: In terms of story, it took me quite a while to understand what was really going on, therefore making the first half a little boring. However, after I caught on I found the subject quite interesting, although not very original, but this is a true story, so not much could be done about that. I also must add that I was not aware of the story behind J. Edgar.
In terms of acting, this was near perfection, with a great cast, who were really well characterised. I was impressed!
It has been a blast to watch Leonardo DiCaprio grow as an actor, I have been a fan of his since the early days, mostly for the looks, but now I remain a fan for other reasons: Mr. DiCaprio has proven that he truly deserves this job.
Judi Dench was her great self, as always. Not much to add there.
I remember Armie Hammer from "The Social Network", where he played the twins. This was a very different role, which he fully grasped. Another great actor to watch out for!
It was also a breath of fresh air to see Ed Westwick in a different role from "Gossip Girl", although he only had a small part.
Naomi Watts was also very believable as Helen Gandy.
Overall, it was an ok movie.

No comments: