Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Thursday, November 03, 2011

The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)


"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973."


Susie Salmon is adjusting to her new home in heaven, a place that is not at all as she expected, even as the departed teenager is watching life on earth continue without her: her friends trading rumours about the way she disappeared, her killer trying to cover his tracks and her grieving family going their separate ways.


Quote: "There was our father, the heart we knew held all of us. Held us heavily and desperately, the doors of his heart opening and closing with the rapidity of stops on an instrument, the quiet felt closures, the ghostly fingering, practice and practice and then, incredibly, sound and melody and warmth."

Why this book speaks to me: When I first started reading it, I felt like this was only a book about a dead girl and a killer who you already knew... But as the story unravels, it becomes much more than that...
"The Lovely Bones" is about believing in what comes our way, dealing with the past and hoping for a better future... The bones are the connection between those featured in the book, who are brought together due to death, in ways they never thought possible: a tragedy may have a somewhat happy ending.
I would also like to dedicate this book to my grandad who passed away three days before Christmas 2003, but will always remain in my heart. His birthday was on November 9th. I miss him so much, our conversations, arriving at his home and hugging him before anyone else, the advice he gave me, his smile... But I know that he is watching me and I still talk to him every day!

Note: In 2009, "The Lovely Bones" was made into a movie starring Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz, Susan Sarandon and Stanley Tucci.

No comments: