Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Friday, October 28, 2011

Sideways (Rex Pickett, Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor)

Miles is a failed writer living an average life in San Diego as an English teacher. With his career seemingly fading and the fate of a book hanging on a publisher's decision, Miles is depressed with himself and what he has not achieved. Jack is a television actor recognised by some, not many, as a one time success. The two embark on a road trip through California's wine country. Miles wants to give his friend a nice sendoff before married life, while Jack simply wants to have a fling beforehand. As they are both approaching middle age with not much to show for it, the two will explore the vineyards while ultimately searching for their identities.

Starring: Paul Giamatti, Thomas Haden Church, Virginia Madsen, Sandra Oh, Jessica Hecht, Missy Doty, Patrick Gallagher

My thoughts on this film: I feel like I cannot separate my comments regarding "sideways" in order for it to make sense, so this time I will have to put together my likes and dislikes into one category.
At first it seemed like I was about to watch two friends on a simple roadtrip, although I liked the fact that they are so different: Miles is the eternal pessimist who does not seem to catch a break, while Jack is the outgoing optimist trying to lift his friend's spirit.
After about an hour this film started to move me in ways I never thought possible... I started hating Jack more than anything in the whole world!
I have also been lied to the way Sandra Oh's character was, so I felt really close to her and could remember every detail of what I went through, but enough about me... Jack is about to get married but really wants something different, meaningless, animal sex, so he lies to his first conquest saying how much he loves her and spends the most wonderful days with her, being the greatest boyfriend and promising they will be together forever, until she finds out... I wish I had sent someone to hospital the way she did (a broken nose should be the least of his problems), and then, surprise, surprise... He gets angry by the fact that she found out, but soon forgets her and moves on to the next conquest: A fat woman whom he believes will probably be grateful for having sex with him.
When Jack arrives at the Motel naked after being thrown out by her husband - Yes, she was married -, I found myself laughing as hard as Miles (I would never have helped him like his best friend did afterwards)!
By Saturday, Jack was getting married as if those two women had never existed!
I also saw a bit of myself in Miles and the fact that when everything seemed to go wrong for him he wanted to give up (I am a lot like that, I give up very easily)!
I loved the scenery as well, however, I hated the end, it felt unfinished, I was left wondering "What now? Is this it?"
In general terms, this movie made me think about life and relationships like no other!

No comments: