Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Monday, September 26, 2011

Summer and the City (Candace Bushnell)

Summer is a magical time in New York City and Carrie is in love with all of it: The crazy characters in her neighbourhood; the vintage-clothing boutiques; the wild parties; and the glamorous man who has swept her off her feet. Best of all, she is finally in a real writing class, taking her first steps towards fulfilling her dream.
This sequel to "The Carrie Diaries" brings surprising revelations as Carrie learns to navigate her way around the Big Apple, going from being a country "sparrow" - as Samantha Jones calls her - to the person she always wanted to be. But as it becomes increasingly difficult to reconcile her past with her future, Carrie realises that making it in New York is much more complicated than she ever imagined.
This is the irresistible story of how Carrie met Samantha and Miranda, and what turned a small-town girl into one of New York City's most unforgettable icons, Carrie Bradshaw.

Quote: "I hear his footsteps cross the floor, followed by the squeak of the door. Get over it, I scold myself. It's not a big deal. They had sex. So what? It's not my business. But still. Doesn't Ryan care about his fiancée? And what about Maggie and her two boyfriends? Are there no limits when it comes to sex? Is sex really so powerful it can erase your history and common sense?"

Why this book speaks to me: Although Carrie is only seventeen in this novel, she deals with relationships like anyone else and I see a lot of my questions and doubts in her narrations. I have dealt with what she goes through - although in other scenarios - and I am left thinking about how this can help me, the same way it does when you talk to friends. I really felt inspired by "Summer and the City"!
On a lighter note, it is fun to realise how the four friends we are so used to watching on T.V. get together (even if Charlotte only makes an appearance at the very end).

No comments: