Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Invention of Lying (Ricky Gervais and Matthew Robinson)

This hilarious comedy takes place in a different reality where lies do not exist. Everyone tells the truth and nothing more than the truth, even politicians and adverts.
However, when a loser named Mark discovers the art of lying he quickly begins to understand that dishonesty may be rewarded. In a world where every word is heard as the only possible truth, Mark begins his journey to fame and fortune through lying. But things get out of hand pretty fast when his lies become The Bible to the people.
He has the whole world under his feet - except for the woman he loves - will she fall under the same spell?

Starring: Ricky Gervais, Jennifer Garner, Jonah Hill, Louis C.K., Jeffrey Tambor, Fionnula Flanagan, Rob Lowe, Tina Fey, Jason Bateman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Edward Norton, Stephen Merchant, Conner Rayburn

Why I loved this film: It has to be by far the most hilarious and brilliant film I have seen, especially today because I was feeling like a loser myself and it really lifted my spirits!
It deals with the fact that in this stupid world people care mostly about looks than what is inside, when in the end of the day it is better to be with someone who is not as handsome but loves you more than anything than to be with an idiot who only cares about himself.
I also love the fact that, knowing what an Atheist Ricky really is, he used his brilliant writing skills to show us that we believe in what we want in order to get us through our days, hence "the Man in the Sky" who will give us mansions after we die and will be responsible for all good and bad things that take place in our lives. I especially enjoyed the paper headlines the following day: "Nasa is looking for Man in the Sky".
But these white lies will save a suicidal guy or even let an old woman die in peace. That is why sometimes it is best to lie... And everyone does it, just do not let those lies get out of hand.
However, I have to say I wish I could just go up to a bank and say I want to withdraw a huge amount of money and they would just give it to me without checking if I really had that much, or I even wish I could just go up to the guy I love and tell him that the Man in the Sky wishes for us to be together... Now, that would be a dream come true!

No comments: