Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Juno (Diablo Cody)

Directed by Jason Reitman, Juno is the tale of a 16-year-old high school junior in Minnesota who discovers she is pregnant. In the waiting room of an abortion clinic, the unconventional Juno decides to give birth and to place the child with an adoptive couple. She finds one in the PennySaver personals, contacts them, tells her dad and step-mother, and carries on with school. The chosen parents, a cool and laid back husband with his uptight wife, meet the teen mother-to-be, sign papers, and the year unfolds. But soon Juno discovers that nothing in life is as it seems...

Starring: Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, Allison Janney, J.K. Simmons, Rainn Wilson

What I liked about this film: With so many movies and tv shows on teen pregnancy, it is a breath of fresh air to find such a different approach on the subject, which includes hilarious one-liners. Ellen Page does a good job and I really liked Jason Bateman too.

What I hated about this film: The beginning is very cheesy, it looks like you are about to see a typical teen movie. The story makes it all seem a bit easy, I wish she had interviewed more couples before finding that one, her parents were more supportive than I would have expected and it felt weird that the other students at school did not treat it as such a big deal, I can even remember this conversation between the father-to-be and a friend at school:

"Do you know that Juno's having a baby?"
"Yep"
"And you know it's yours, right?"
"Yep"
"I'm going to stop wearing underware to increase my sperm count!"

I understand the funny side, but it also sounds as if that is a cool thing, which feels a little weird...
I also hate the happy ending, I mean, you become pregnant at 16, deal with it very quickly and you find the love of your life... It sounds like high school is a dream come true!

No comments: