Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Boys Don't Cry (Kimberley Peirce and Andy Bienen)


Brandon Teena is the popular new guy in a tiny Nebraska town. He hangs out with the guys and charms the ladies, who have never met a more sensitive and considerate young man. Life is good for Brandon, now that he is one of the guys and dating hometown beauty Lana. However, he forgot to mention one important detail: Brandon Teena was actually born a female named Teena Brandon. When his best friends make this discovery, Brandon's life is teared apart, leading to his assassination in the end.

Starring: Hilary Swank, Chloë Sevigny, Peter Sarsgaard, Brendan Sexton III, Alicia Goranson

Why I loved this film: I never thought much of it, until I realised that "Boys don't cry" is actually based on a true story. In 1993, two ignorant guys raped and murdered a teen for the "simple crime" of being different.
Who does that? Well, although times have changed, this atrocity still occurs every now and then.
I may be a little naive, but we are all human, so it seems hard to believe that some people may be as ignorant as John Lotter and Tom Nissen who took away the lives of Brandon Teena and friend Candace. In spite of everything, two lives were taken and that is what really gets to me... How can someone be so cruel?
John was sentenced to death, while Tom is still serving life.

No comments: