Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Jane Eyre (Charlotte Brontë)

Jane Eyre is an orphan and endures a harsh life, first in the home of her wicked aunt and then later in a cruel charity school. Her position as a governess takes her to the house of the enigmatic Mr. Rochester: a house full of secrets!

A dramatic revelation forces Jane to flee as she refuses to become Mr. Rochester's mistress. In a densely-plotted and exciting novel, Jane emerges as a powerful heroine strong enough to remain true to her own principles, whilst eventually reaching a happy resolution.


Quote: "You are good to those who are good to you. It is all I ever desire to be. If people were always kind and obedient to those who are cruel and unjust, the wicked people would have it all their own way: they would never feel afraid, and so they would never alter, but would grow worse and worse. When we are struck at without a reason, we should strike back again very hard; I am sure we should - so hard as to teach the person who struck us never to do it again."

Why this book speaks to me: I see a lot of myself in Jane Eyre, not so much the fact that she is an orphan, but her strength... As much as she wants to die and end everything, she remains an optimist, fighting hard for what she believes in, loving the people who are good to her, and finally after trying to run away from the man she loves because he lied to her, she eventually realises that she cannot stop loving him and returns to the man of her dreams, for better or worse, getting her eventual happy ending.
I have exactly the same reactions she has on a daily basis, I just have not had my happy ending yet, but this story gives me reason to believe that it will happen, eventually, when I least expect it to.
Besides, Charlotte Brontë describes the beautiful Yorkshire Moors very vividly, where the author actually resided, which I visited last year and cannot get out of my mind. It has to be the most beautiful place I have ever been, in the typical English countryside.

2 comments:

jane eyre movies said...

The Jane Eyre books is my favorite from Charlotte Bronte. Villette and Shiley are must-read from her as well. :)

Tany said...

I haven't read any other Charlotte Bronte books yet, but will do in the future. Thanks for the tips :)