Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!

Feel free to leave any suggestions or comments regarding music, books, films, TV, theatre or culture related news...

My ratings:
❤️ = Loved it
😐 = It's okay
😝 = Hated it

Friday, October 15, 2010

Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)


Set on the beautiful and remote Yorkshire Moors, Wuthering Heights tells of the all-encompassing yet thwarted love of Catherine Earnshaw and her father's ward Heathcliff. Her betrayal of him and her decision to marry Edgar Linton, a wealthy neighbour, has tragic consequences. Their tempestuous and doomed love colours all around them as Heathcliff's obsession with revenge destroys the lives of not one, but two generations.


Quote: "Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living! You said I killed you - haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers. I believe - I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"


Why this book speaks to me: I had always had a fascination for this story ever since I heard the Kate Bush song "Wuthering Heights", many decades ago. It strikes me the way love changes people and can drive them to madness... More recently I was at Haworth (England), at the Bronte Parsonage, learning about the Bronte lives and the true English countryside that inspired the three Bronte sisters (Emily, Charlotte and Anne) to write such amazing stories! After I came back home I reread the book and was able to imagine the places described therein... Absolutely magical!

No comments: